RacknRoad was started by passionate sportsmen, adventurers, and travellers to provide active people and families with transport solutions. The winning combination of world-class, award-winning products supplied and fitted by experienced and knowledgeable staff is what sets us apart from our competition.
This is the first year that you are involved in SGOTY. Why have you chosen to align your brand with this event?
The outdoor recreation industry in South Africa employs 1 out of 10 people and is 370 billion rands strong. It is this significant even though only 10% of our population are active in the outdoors. Research supports that facilitated exposure to nature and wildlife leads to lifelong participation and appreciation of the long list of benefits nature contributes to well being and personal growth. We believe that the field guide plays a pivotal role in this facilitation process, and excellence should be celebrated and promoted. They are, in our view, the unsung heroes in the outdoor recreation industry!
What will you be sponsoring?
We will be sponsoring each finalist a Thule backpack that will help to protect their books, notes, and electronic devices while active in the outdoors. (Image is for illustrative purposes only and the actual prize might differ from this)
Any words of encouragement for the contestants?
Our sponsorship is a small token of appreciation for the great work our field guides do daily! Unlocking the socio-economic potential of the outdoor recreation industry starts with facilitated experiences in nature by FGASA trained guides. (Image is for illustrative purposes only and the actual prize might differ from this)
The aims of FGASA.
- Provide educational opportunities to promote the conservation and rehabilitation of the cultural and natural heritage of southern Africa.
- To maintain and serve a professional association of highly-trained tourist guides, tour operators and hospitality institutes.
- To promote a culture of professional guiding based on a strong ethical, well-informed, safety-conscious approach that provides the visitor to southern Africa with a pleasant and memorable experience.
- To fully commit to the development and implementation of the national qualifications, promoting the development of all tourist guides including historically disadvantaged individuals, as a part of the South African transformation process.
- To promote the development of guides through the use of training programmes that conform to high standards of learner development.
- To promote the highest standards of guide assessment by appointing fully qualified and experienced assessors.