This is the first year that you are involved in SGOTY. Why have you chosen to align your brand with this event?
We are so excited to be part of the Safari Guide of the Year 2021.
I think during the pandemic, more than ever, we realised that supporting everything local is important, also that our country is in a state of economic shock and safaris are a big drawcard for travellers/foreigners. Aligning with SGOTY is our way of supporting guides to be their best and attract much-needed capital in our country. Giving tourists an experience that will keep them coming back for years to come is the outcome we are working towards.
What will you be sponsoring?
We’re sponsoring a R30k cash prize.
Any words of encouragement for the contestants?
Focus on valuable storytelling skills and make sure your knowledge is better than your opponents! Personality and creating a great atmosphere goes a long way. Good luck and always stay passionate about what you do.
- Provide educational opportunities to promote the conservation and rehabilitation of the cultural and natural heritage of southern Africa.
- To maintain and serve a professional association of highly-trained tourist guides, tour operators and hospitality institutes.
- To promote a culture of professional guiding based on a strong ethical, well-informed, safety-conscious approach that provides the visitor to southern Africa with a pleasant and memorable experience.
- To fully commit to the development and implementation of the national qualifications, promoting the development of all tourist guides including historically disadvantaged individuals, as a part of the South African transformation process.
- To promote the development of guides through the use of training programmes that conform to high standards of learner development.
- To promote the highest standards of guide assessment by appointing fully qualified and experienced assessors.